Thursday, June 07, 2007



Midnight Rider

You know its late when the truck stops are quiet. Its the type of ride I'm famous for. Getting out there when everyone else has gone to bed. The roads are more peaceful and I spend more of it watching out for the nocturnal animals. Its the ride I genuinely prefer.

Its especially nice on clear nights. The stars are bright and the breeze has a little bite to it. You tend to feel more awake on these types of midnight rides. The humidity settles on things at rest. After a warm day its refreshing.

When my wife and I first met we took long rides after band rehersal (yes, I met my wife while in a band) which would sometimes last all night. We rode the Milwaukee area and one of our favorite things to do was watch the sunrise over Lake Michigan at the McKinley Marina.

Predawn and the lake is still as glass. The sky takes on mottled blue and pink hues. The air remains calm until the sun breaks through a distant wall of thick clouds which always settle on the eastern horizon, just above the quiet waters. Then, the sunrise.

When it happens its a brilliant display of hot rays of color spraying up over the cloudbank. They break through the edges of billowy vapor in streams but the water remains calm. Once our personal star comes into view in vivid reds and yellows its a matter of time until that first wave of air moves across the Lake's surface to greet us. A breeze that feels like the sun itself has released its first deep breath of the morning. I miss it. Granted I now live in the land of ten thousand little lakes but its not the same. I guess I can vist but as they say, you can never go back.

I still have the need to ride in the dark hours. Not as much as in my youth but every once in a while. I make no pretense about choosing to never completely grow up.

So it is that The Night and I still know each other. An old acquaintance. While the hustle of daylight sparks sleepyheads to clog their lives with getting places en masse, these hours are for the contemplative few. And the occasional drunk, lost and contemplating something else to himself.

The hours past bar closing and dawn are for the few of us who don't need the banter of talk on the am dial. Or music of any era or style. The sound of an engine. Wind trying to find its way under a helmet are enough... Medication.

Not so much as in my youth when my only responsibilityies were the rent and insurance, but enough not to lose myself. These midnight rides bring me back to center. My quiet time.

Its the lake house for some. A day at the ballpark for others. The hunt or a well written tome. It could be a garden or a visit to the museum, we all need to have it. A thing we engage in which somehow seems to settle our spirits.

For some its the unwinding slipstream after work. Others dissappear off into the hillside, the drone of their motorcycles leaving that fading sinking hum until even that note evaporates from our senses.

Its what we do. We don't ride to become something, we already are. We merely choose the vehicle and the hour.


Midnight rider




Roadbum



7 comments:

CodyandMichelle said...

Well written story Harv!
Night riding is my least favorite, maybe that will change once we leave FL. It's always busy here, your just that much less seen at night here, which makes you more of a target :(. Heck if these cagers can't see you during the day, you know night riding is gonna be scary!

American Scooterist Blog said...

It takes the most concentration and speed control next to inclement weather riding but there's something I love about it in spite of all the extra attention it demands. Thanks for the compliment Cody : )

Roadbum

Sarch said...

Excellent post Roadbum.

Very poetic, and for those of us who ride it has even more meaning.

After reading your comments on night riding it occurs to me that I too thoroughly enjoy evening jaunts. I don't take them very often but when I do they end up being very special times. The wind, sound of the engine...the ability to totaly focus on the road ahead. Even the glow of the speedometer come together to create a magical moment.

Thank you for an excellent post.

gary said...

Now THAT's some writin', right there!

Nice job, Harv.

Very nice photograph too.

My night rides always take place in the mornings, during the Spring and Fall of the year. I've never thought to actually enjoy them...

Thanks for the inspiration.

American Scooterist Blog said...

Sarch, thank you very much. Those are the kinds of things I see when I ride at night too.

Gary, The ride is almost always good. There are those harrowing times but for the most part getting on those rides center me.

Combatscoot said...

Very, very good story. I got my start riding at night on a skateboard. Very good time to try those hills at speed that would normally be too dangerous with daytime traffic. I used-to do alot of motorcycle riding at night, but ever-since having a youngster, haven't been able to get past 10 P.M. unless I am working a night shift. Maybe when he leaves home...
John

American Scooterist Blog said...

Combatscoot, you've got some guts to have ridden a skateboard at night, that's all I gotta say.

Yup, life changes and we go with it. We're lucky to have wives who understand us.

Thanks for the kind words.

Roadbum