Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Choices

You can wake up in the morning with a list of things you need to do and want to do.  And then Life comes in, taking precedence over everything you set forth to do.  This was my lot since the early spring.

I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong.  As the title of this post clearly states, these are some of the choices one must make because, well, that's just how life goes sometimes.

My kids are still young.  Seven year old twins.  A he and a she.  And they will involve me in every detail of their lives.  I call that a blessing.  I'll take it while it lasts.  And while riding is one of the great joys in my life, kids are a dynamic experience which always changes.  Each day is a little different.  Each year is as new to me as it is to them.   Forgone rides in favor of spending time with my children wasn't really much of a choice.  After all, the bikes wait all winter long for me to ride them and I've never heard one complain about it yet.

My wife went through a major surgery.  She was feeling progressively worse through the spring before going under the knife.  The healing process took most of the summer.   Motorcycles and scooters are inanimate objects.  No emotional healing to bring them back on the road required.  They can wait.

I had plans to ride this summer.  I mean really ride.  Friends of mine did too.  We had plans to take days to get where we intended to go.  Even though direct routes were relatively short, by the wings of the crow.

That isn't to say I didn't get the chance to ride.  The truth is a buddy of mine opened up a door I hadn't noticed before.  He found time in his busy life to duck out on his Aprilia scooter and find me.   While the rides were sometimes shorter, as the song says, you get what you need. ( and once or twice I dragged him along on a longer ride than he anticipated)

The rides I'd planned but never took?  They weren't really options considering what lay in store for me and my family this summer.  As much as you could say I was there for my family, they've always been there for me. 

There's someone in the house who depends upon you.  Someone who looks forward to seeing you home again after those late night rides. Someone who quietly hopes and prays for your safety.

You can always get the chance to ride but there are certain periods in the lives of those who matter to you which should not be missed.  Should not be choices at all.

I'll ride another day.

Or week.


Harv 

4 comments:

cpa3485 said...

Just go ahead and be selfish, if you must, and ignore all the needs of your readers.
Actually just kidding. You are extremely lucky to have twins like that and it is really important to spend as much time with them as you can. I know from experience that they grow up a lot faster than you think they will. A few missed riding moments can be made up later, time with kids and family is a little different.

I didn't ride this last weekend very much, even though I had planned to. We did some family things over the weekend and I don't regret it a bit. We had a great time.

Take Care,
Jim

irondad said...

New grandson. Staying around home more. Totally understand!

Steve Williams said...

Sometimes I think the quality of our person is more accurately measured by our ability to abandon plans and embrace what life brings to the doorstep. Doesn't always seem like the right choice at the time but with a few minutes of travel the wisdom is more apparent.

Sounds as if you are going down the right road. Best wishes for you and your family.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

American Scooterist Blog said...

Thanks Jim

Iron', me dad, you super dad. You go through this once already. Me only first time

Thanks Steve. Life's been taking strange turns lately. Someone told me they're getting the band back together.